Calgary is a vibrant city with acres of parks and natural areas, world class festivals and events, and recreation centers that provide resources to all Calgarians. I know that a thriving arts, culture, and entertainment sector leads to a vibrant economy, good paying jobs, and livable communities and that's what I want for Ward 8 and for Calgary. I helped found the Lilac Festival on Fourth Street; I know what street festivals can do to build livable communities and promote civic engagement. I want to continue to make Ward 8 the hub for Calgary's festival scene.
However Ward 8 is the ward with the least public and park space in the whole city. Its recreational facilities are aging and need immediate investment to ensure they continue to provide for communities for years to come. And City Council has decided to sell of existing green space in the ward, like the Richmond Green development. And, while Ward 8 is about to become the home of the new Calgary Events Centre, the pandemic has kneecapped our communities and business districts' abilities to host world-class festivals and events.
What I will do:
- I will fight to protect existing parks and recreational facilities in Ward 8, create new, accessible park and activity space for all age groups, and fight to have City Council reconsider the Richmond Green development project.
- I will ensure that the Calgary Event Centre is built on time, on budget, and that Calgarians enjoy the benefits of the redevelopment of the Culture and Entertainment District for decades to come.
- I will expand Calgary's children and youth programs like Calgary AfterSchool to help ensure healthy living and leadership skills in the next generation.
- I will work with educational institutions to encourage the preservation and continuing development of the arts community in Calgary.
- I will encourage street life and public participation in community festivals and neighbourhood events through expanding programs like the Festivals and Events Microgrant program.