Diversity is one of our great strengths. We are an immigrant nation, built by the coming together of people and cultures from around the world. Calgary was built on land where the First Nations of Treaty 7 traditionally live. Calgary has benefited from immigrants since its founding. People come here in pursuit of a better life and to build a brighter future for their children.
As Calgary continues to grow and welcome more people who want a city to call home, we must recognize that our government services and structures have historically been designed without a care for equality and equity between different people. This was not right then and it's not right now. City Council must continue to spearhead improving our City by breaking down barriers that hinder inclusivity and promoting greater diversity in ideas and viewpoints. As we go forward we must also remember and learn from our past mistakes and work towards reconciliation with groups who have been historically harmed by government policies.
What I will do:
- I will ensure that City Council fulfills the recommendations of the White Goose Flying Report from 2016.
- I will fight to ensure that systemic racism is eliminated throughout all city departments and administration.
- I will mandate gender equity throughout the city administration.
- I will identify and implement a wholistic network of resources for people with disabilities.
- I will collaborate with the Federal and Provincial governments to secure funding for diversity and reconciliation programs.